The purpose of this project is to build upon the Regional Board SUD ecosystem 2020 planning effort and implement a program called Collaborative Recovery Empowerment of the Southern Tier (CREST) to maintain employment and sustained recovery for those in the recovery workforce.
- Southern Tier 8 Regional Board (Local Development District, project administrator)
- LEAF Council on Alcoholism & Addictions (workplace training provider & coordinator for wellness program)
- Family Counseling Services of Cortland County (SUD treatment; identifying unemployed & providing peer supports)
- the Alcohol & Drug Council of Tompkins County (SUD treatment; identifying unemployed & providing peer supports)
- Broome Tioga Workforce Investment Board (providing workforce training & connecting to workplace)
- The Greater Binghamton Chamber (connecting to workplace & expansion to additional Chambers)
The Southern Tier 8 region consists of the eight counties of Broome, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Schoharie, Tompkins and Tioga. The region is largely rural, including 129 towns, 54 villages and five small urban centers, i.e., Binghamton, Norwich, Cortland, Oneonta and Ithaca.
CREST Project Timeline
May 2021-October 2023
Overall Project Outcomes (with Partner Organizations)
- Reduce Stigma for Substance Use Disorder across the workplace
- 25 businesses engaged
- 75 people in recovery trained (40 maintained employment)
- 1 new peer training certification developed
- 1 regional SUD recovery-to-work support resource directory developed
- Additional ecosystem support needs identified
- Best practices shared across the Southern Tier & the Appalachian Region
- Support the Region’s CEDS Goal 2 for Workforce Development, Goal 5 for Community Well-Being & Goal 6 for Rural Communities
Specific Work Activities under the technical assistance agreement include:
- General assistance offered to the Regional Board staff & partners to conceptualize, develop, and support public outreach, community, business, and economic development partners across the region’s ecosystem.
- Assist the Regional Board staff in identifying gaps and expanding the current resource directory to be offered in the upcoming regional portal resources and assist in promoting the Industry Summit to be utilized by ST8, project partners, the CEDS committee and partners.
- Work with the Partners to design the engagement strategy with the business sector for a workplace wellness program & value of talented workforce
- Work with ST8 staff to coordinate bi-monthly partner meetings & track partner progress, based on the workplan (to be finalized in month 1 with partners and Regional Board staff).
- Serve as the liaison between Chamber partners and businesses to assist in reducing the stigma in the workplace and introduce business partners to the current regional CEDS committee.
- Offer project updates at the quarterly CEDS/Sync-Up meetings.
Southern Tier 8 staff will:
- schedule and prepare minutes for bi-monthly meetings
- prepare required ARC Qly and 120-day program and fiscal reports
Criteria for Selection:
- The applicant must demonstrate the working knowledge and provide clear examples of direct experience with the project partner agencies.
- The applicant must offer prior project management experience with a project of similar scale & prior experience with federal grant programs.
- The applicant should express how goals of this project align with their firm’s interest in supporting the Recovery-to-Work Workforce.
- The applicant must reply by May 25th, 2021 and should be available to start by June 7th, 2021 with bi-monthly partner meetings, scheduled every other Monday afternoon.
- Veteran-owned and MWBE applicants are encouraged to apply.